Discussion: How to look at contributors

Hello all cool people! Please note that this is intended to only act a baseline for discussion - just some thoughts. If you like it - expand the points you like. If you don’t - give the DAO your thoughts so we can improve together! One love.

Background

We all believe that its important for our potential contributors that join our DAO to get motivated to contribute from the beginning. As a way to create engagement, we give them 500 SHN as an onboarding bonus. With this latest development of the contributors that have joined us I think we need to think about other ways to onboard new potential contributors.

How could we change it?

I Propose that instead of paying little for many to join - I say that we pay a lot for few. Can we find few very intrinsically motivated contributors (that we know can generate value) and give them a decent signing bonus?

How would it work?

One of the existing members of the contributors should be able to vouch for a new person to join - acting as an oboarder for this person. It has clear incentives and provide clear skin in the game. It should be clear to all contibutors who invited this member.

After the first meaningful contribution (that we can choose as existing contributors), this new contributor would recieve a signing bonus of 15000 SHN. They essentially get bumped up to the lowest tier of investor. This is way more SHN then what we are going with currently (30x) but I see this is as a much better way to incentivise high-quality people to join.

Additional question - how do we incentivise the people that invite contributors? Give them an allocation as well? Could be somewhere in the 5-10k range.

Checks and Balances?

I believe that we can dare to experiment with different ways to engage people without needing to think too much of worst case scenarios currently. We got a lot of SHN in our budget for contributors so I guess we spend it. Me personally have a few peole I know that might be good contributors. I think they have the skill and might need som extra push.

What happens if t he contributor sells the SHN right away?

This is a possiblity that might be the first to come, but that should be the payment for the meaningful contibution anyway. Right now - the price of SHN is low and if we are starting to have a higher price, the signing bonus would be much more attractive, which means that the contributor would have to create more value. I think we could experiment and see how the results would be.

I have been thinking about using some kind of punishment for the contributor that invited but I don’t think its needed. In the end, compared to the value we got from our >11k Shine this week (writing this on the saturday the 16th of October) - I’d rather spend that on one contributor doing some real good shit. One task will provide more value to us than some memes.

What happens to the true Anons?

Anyone must be able to qualify themselves on the basis of theirr own merit. Come in, engage yourself as any other and show that you want and can help. I love this aspect of the web3 and I believe it should be facilitated in any possible way. Just because one contributes doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t be able to contribute.

At a certain point, it should be clear whether someone has the potential to become a contributor.

5 Likes

In principle this is how it should be done. High value contributions are trust-based and we all already know people who could be interested in this space/projects if they just got some ownership.

What I want is to be able to onboard high quality people who know how to make shit happen but are new to crypto. They want to learn more and we can offer them a perfect space to explore.

Lets figure out the logistics together. Who decides who gets onboarded and how does this process look like?

Some thoughts from top of mind:

Who gets to decide who gets onboarded? Suggestion - squad leads gets allocated budget for this. Active contributors with 1500SHN - investor level can propose new potential high level contributors.

”Onboarding Buddy” onboards new high value contributor and gets rewarded for this. Either through Props or squad leads.

Squad lead, onboarding buddy and new contributor finds meaningful task that is relevant in the scope of shineDAO. When this is completed the rewards get sent out.

Great example is MrRealorFake who has been onboarded by DrunkBoy and is working on a treasury mgmt-proposal. I want to give this guy his fair share of tokens since he is already trusted and has shown to be able to work independently to create value.

2 Likes

Why not have multiple ways to get on boarded?

The “Onboarding Buddy” process that badgerton outlines sounds like something we should pursue as well and would be great to reward those who have done what MrRealorFake and DrunkBoy together to kind of be a mvp of that way (maybe a few more steps would need to be done/made clear to the community in the future if the process needs to be more formalized [esp the proposal process]?)

I think the 500 SHN way now is ok (technically is fairly automated which is great to me), but maybe we need to raise the barrier of entry by the person doing a [more] “simple” task[s] (i.e. creating/doing something[s] that can be verified automatically). if we need to reward more for the process as it gets more complex we can do so, but I still think its beneficial to continue to think about how to onboard in a algorithmic process.

1 Like

To make discussions a bit easier - I’ve made an initial process that can serve as a baseline.

I agree with you @cinquemb that we should make everything “on code” as much as we can. I think that we should have the learn to earn as our first step to earn 500 SHN.

This should lead to:

• Anyone can quite easily earn their first SHN
  • We can make sure that we get the right focus for the newcomers that wants to join
  • We get a chance to fine tune the “Learn to earn” and potentially showcase it (and sell it) to other DAOs

Let me know if I’m thinking with my ass or if I’ve missed something!

4 Likes

Thanks for this @DrunkBoy. Also good points @badgerton and @cinquemb.

Onboarding

The main motivation of onboarding is having a way to create user identity and allow users to earn tokens for engagement via SourceCred.

Assumption:
Giving folks 500 SHN will make them more motivated to complete the onboarding.

Learning:
We are getting the wrong type of people on the server because they took this as an airdrop - just free tokens.

Action:
Remove SHN reward for onboarding.

Refferal Bonus

We have a referral bonus already: Contribute to ShineDAO - ShineDAO

We should probably think if this is a good enough incentive (we should probably make it flexible as well - roles with higher prio and responsibility should probably be more rewarded)

Retention

I think signup bonus should be more like a retention incentive, rather than something that will impact conversion from member to contributor. Imo we should only give it to people who proved to be valuable, have clear responsibilities, and are actively participating in guilds and squads.

1 Like

Onboarding
The main motivation of onboarding is having a way to create user identity and allow users to earn tokens for engagement via SourceCred.
Assumption:
Giving folks 500 SHN will make them more motivated to complete the onboarding.
Learning:
We are getting the wrong type of people on the server because they took this as an airdrop - just free tokens.
Action:
Remove SHN reward for onboarding.

I agree that we should remove the onboarding as it looks right now. In hindsight, I believe our dear @Nxo made such a good fucking job with a smooth process that it became an airdrop rather than a “reward” for completing an onboarding.

What I would propose instead is to make the onboarding a bit more extensive - i.e. make it more difficult to earn those 500 SHN. Some ideas on what could be included in an onboarding:

• What is Shine?
  • What does Shine wish to accomplish?
  • How does one get tokens for contributing via sourcecred?
  • How does our content creating processes look?
  • How does one contribute beyond being active and creating content?

By learning and answering these questions - someone can recieve 500 SHN and get onboarded in the process. More work but that should also filter out the low quality contributors that merely are looking for airdrops.

Refferal Bonus
We have a referral bonus already: Contribute to ShineDAO - ShineDAO
We should probably think if this is a good enough incentive (we should probably make it flexible as well - roles with higher prio and responsibility should probably be more rewarded)

I’d say crank that bitch up to 5K and make it harder to qualify as a contributor (see the flowchart I’ve posted above). If we get higher quality contributors where we provide a signing bonus we should also increase the referral bonus.

Retention
I think signup bonus should be more like a retention incentive, rather than something that will impact conversion from member to contributor. Imo we should only give it to people who proved to be valuable, have clear responsibilities, and are actively participating in guilds and squads.

By completing a task that we choose for them, I believe that a contributor has proven themselves valuable. I agree that we should strive towards active participation, that’s why I believe that we should give way less contributors way more SHN - provide a better incentive to continue contributing after their first meaningful contribution.

2 Likes